Friday, March 30, 2018

Advanced Breads at Bettys Cookery School

I was back at Bettys Cookery School a week after attending their vegetation cooking class, this time for one of their advanced bread making courses.

You know you've been somewhere often enough when the employees start goofing around with you and photobombing. Here is Chef Chris, happy that my olive loaf looks as good as it does! 
Photo bomb!
We also croissants from scratch. They're really not that hard, but very time consuming. You have to layer a block of butter on top of the dough, fold the dough and chill for 20 minutes. Then you roll it out again, fold again, chill again. Do this three more times and you're ready (finally!) to fill (optional) and/or shape them. Phew! 
Handmade plain (in back) and chocolate (in back) croissants
We moved from croissants to herby parmesan knots. They started as one long rope and they taught us how to twist them into the braided shape. It's been a year since I've made them and I'll probably never remember how we did it. Drat! 

Herby parmesan knots 
I love it towards the end of the classes when the fruits of your labor slowly start coming out of the oven. Up until then it's been work, work, rise, work, chill, rise, work, chill… until you can finally bake and see the end result! 
Finished croissants
Happy bakers
My fellow baker (Patty) and I were quite thrilled!
Up close finished shot
Chef's finished display
I made all of these (below)! Olive loaf, croissants (half chocolate, half plain), herby parmesan knots, and rosemary and olive focaccia. It was not a class for the gluten averse, that's for sure!  
My finished display

No comments:

Post a Comment