Monday, December 18, 2017

Iceland, Day One

Last year we traveled with our regular group to Iceland to celebrate the long Thanksgiving weekend. This was our first view of Iceland. It looked... welcoming? 
ICELAND!!!
We arrived around lunchtime, collected our cars and made our way to Reykjavik in pursuit of food. We ended up stumbling upon one of the best restaurants of the whole trip! 
Delicious stout
Dan's enjoying his beverage.
We all enjoyed lovely Viking stout and seafood. We would soon learn that seafood was pretty much the majority of what was on offer in Iceland. I was sure glad I am not a vegetarian as everything cost a lot on Iceland, but veggies cost above and beyond what meat (of any variety) cost!
Delicious (and expensive) fish!
Tucking in to lunch
I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, I'd send you all there!
Reykjavik 
After lunch we walked around the downtown Reykjavik area to see what there was to see. It wasn't that cold on the thermostat (probably around 0*C / 32*F), but with the wind chill factor, it was pretty damned cold! 
Shopping in Reykjavik
Shopping in Reykyjavik
I loved the puffin window cling!
Shopping in Reykjavik
Whilst walking around, it started to snow! Big, fat, fluffy flakes, too. So pretty! 
It's SNOWING!!!
Walking back to our car we passed a small lake that was mostly frozen over. Bill talked me into walking onto the frozen lake… it was fun until we heard it crack!
Selfie skills!
Walking on a frozen lake
We cleared off a bit of the frozen lake to take a 'happy feet' picture. It really looks like asphalt, but I promise you, it was a lake! 
Feet on a frozen lake
You can see the bit that had yet to freeze in the photo below as well as in our selfie. The ducks and swans didn't seem to mind the cold water, but I'm sure glad the lake stayed frozen while we were walking on it. I would not have liked having my legs in the frigid water! 
Ducks in the unfrozen part of the lake
And here's a sneaky peek of some Icelandic vistas. More to come in future posts! 
As seen on our drive to our Air B&B


As seen on our drive to our Air B&B


As seen on our drive to our Air B&B

No comments:

Post a Comment