Friday, February 13, 2015

Christmas Cake, Crackers, and Craziness

I know posting this at the end of February is weird, but I am catching up! I hope I will soon be posting events shortly after they've occurred, but until then I am still playing the catch-up game.

The Christmas season is really fun in England. All of the towns really go crazy with the decorations. Every restaurant seems to have special "Winter Warmer" menus, craft fairs and Christmas markets are held almost every weekend in nearby villages and towns. The York Minster had a gorgeous wreath bedecked with holly and mistletoe - which is kind of cool because because they go back to the pagan winter holidays and not all churches will use them in their decorations. 
Advent wreath at York Minster
We attended a Christmas party at a local restaurant that had great decorations and the ubiquitous Christmas crackers with the paper hats.
Christmas Party
Christmas crackers
We decorated our home a wee bit, with a pre-lit, used tree I purchased and some cheap-o ornaments from Amazon. (Because all of our Christmas ornaments are still back in the states.) 
Our Christmas tree
I used my knowledge from last year's cookery course at Betty's to make another Christmas cake. This year I got a bit fancier with the fondant and decorations. 
Christmas cake
Christmas cake
I also made a classic Christmas pudding that we set alight before serving up on Christmas eve.
Flaming Christmas pudding
And last, but not least, every Sunday in December Bill and I got up a bit early and walked down to Betty's tea room for a fancy, sit-down breakfast. What fun we had! 

Betty's for Breakfast
PS Bill's showcasing a cake fork, which he likes to call a sporknife - it cuts, it stabs, it scoops!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment