Monday, March 9, 2015

Owl Encounter

I heard about a 2-for-1 owl encounter voucher at a country estate hotel located about an hour north of where we live. There were only 10 vouchers available, so I hopped online, purchased the tickets, and tucked them away to give to Bill as a Christmas present. We decided to make a short weekend out of it, and booked the owl encounter for a Saturday evening, with an overnight stay at the hotel.
Coniston estate hotel
After arriving, we took a short walk around their private lake. Although the "estate hotel" was not an old country house turned hotel as I had imagined, the purpose-built hotel off the side of the highway was pretty nice, and the man-made lake was very pretty.
Pretty lake
We arrived at the falconry centre a few minutes early and were able to walk around and take photos of the birds of prey. They had several falcons as well as the owls. But tonight, it was mostly about the owls! 
Barn owl
The owl below was at least twice as large as the other owls and had deep red, devil-y eyes. I was secretly happy when the falconer said "We won't be flyin' that lad, he dun like me a bit!" 
Scary owl - maybe a great horned owl? 
We flew two owls (barn owl and long-eared owl) and the hawk below. The hawk flew so fast we didn't get good photos. But I will say when the hawk was on my arm he stared into me eyes, moved in closer and cocked his head. Bill said my eyes got really big and scared as I told the falconer, "I'm a bit intimidated, to be honest!" And right then, the hawk flew away. Whew! 
Hawk (cannot remember type - sorry!)
When it was time to fly the owls, the falconer gave you a one-day old chick's leg to hold out for the owl. (Shudder! I am glad he tucked the leg into our gloved hand; I know that's what Owls eat, but I didn't want to see or touch it.) Once the chick's leg was held out, the owl came swooping in for dinner and a nice rest on your gloved hand.after a minute or two, s/he would get bored, and fly back to the rock wall to await another chick's leg. 
Coming in for a landing
Just chillin'
Later!
Bill enjoyed "his" Christmas present. But I'll be honest, I know this was a gift I purchased for myself!

Bill and the long-eared owl
We got to fly both a long-eared owl (above) and a cute barn owl (below). 
Bill and the barn owl

Barn owl enjoying some tasty chick leg...
My barn owl friend
I loved every minute of it! But, I doubt I'll ever keep an owl as a pet. I can't imagine purchasing dead, day-old chicks in bulk. Eww!! And sad face :-(

2 comments:

  1. If you have not read, Wesley, the Owl, you might enjoy it. It's in the PL Library when you return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to remember that title for when I do return!

      Delete