Monday, September 1, 2014

Get Set!


The day before the Grand Départ finally arrived!! 

Main streets were closed, marquees and grandstands were built, and teams arrived to start their day-before practice runs. I just happened to be walking through town when the Quick Step team came cycling by. 
Practice, practice, practice
Practice makes Quick-Step perfect... almost!
After these guys rode past, I put my phone away. A minute later, one more Quick Step guy rode by with a cycling bodyguard of sorts and everyone milling about cheered. It was Mark Cavendish, the native Yorshireman and hometown favorite. Sadly, the next day he crashed just before the finish line, almost exactly where I saw him on this day.


As I walked home, I found a team bus parked at a hotel right around the corner from our home. I don't think busses are legally allowed to park on the sidewalk, but pretty much anything goes this particular weekend!
A Le Tour team bus near our home
That night the "Fun Park" opened up in town, so Bill and I headed out to see what sights we could see. Here we are right in front of the finish line, where the next day Prince William, Kate, and Prince Harry would stand to watch the day one finish. 

It's time to enjoy the pre-race festivities!
Inside the "Fun Park" we searched out the Theakston tent. It's one of the two main Yorkshire breweries who serve up the local favorite, pints of bitter. Bill's not a huge fan, but I don't mind the bitters. 
A true Yorkshire tradition
After a pint, we called it a night and walked home, excited for what the next day would bring. 

PS This is our 200th post on the blog - woohoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment