Monday, September 22, 2014

Flower Carpet in Brussels Grand Place

Our friend, Cindy, had always wanted to see the flower carpet in Brussels ever since she heard about it several years ago. It is organized and paid for by the Turkish Embassy to celebrate Brussel's acceptance of Turkish immigration into their country. The flower carpet is only in place for three days, and only happens every other year. Needless to say, the weekend we were in Brussels was a huge tourist weekend. Oh well, it was worth it! 
Flower carpet viewing balcony
We had to wait about an hour in line to get up to the town hall's viewing platform. If not for the pushy German lady who cut in line behind us and proceeded to try and cut in front of me, the wait would have been a lot of fun. Don't worry, I called her out and made her get back behind me! (Nothing gets me more hot & angry than a big ol' cheater!) Once we made it into the town hall we had to wind our way up to the viewing balcony. On the balcony we were allowed to hang out and take as many photos as we wanted. 

This was the 50th anniversary of Turkish Immigration in Brussels, and the flower showcased in this flower carpet was the begonia. The carpet was 75 meters long and 25 meters wide.
Flower Carpet detail 
All of the ladies (save Cindy, who was somewhere on the balcony taking photos) posed for a group shot with the flower carpet behind us. 
The gals on the viewing balcony
My wide angle lens wasn't quite wide enough, but I was able to get most of the flower carpet into one shot. You can also see the amazing Grand Place buildings that boarder the square. It really is one of the most beautiful squares I have ever seen, even without the flower carpet! 
Almost all of the flower carpet
More shots of the flower carpet.
To the right...
... and to the left
I also got out my cell phone and attempted to take a selfie. I'm not very good at this selfie thing, but trying to take them always cracks me up. 
Flower carpet selfie fail! 
After our uber-posh dinner of mussels, duck, and the like, Bill and I (along with Cindy & her husband, Brook) walked back to the Grand Place to see the flower carpet all lit up at night. We are so glad we did! Not only did I get this pretty cool shot below, but we also got to see the music and light show. I took a few short videos of the music and light show which I will post below.  
Flower carpet at night
Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment