Monday, September 15, 2014

California Dreamin'

After our visit in Missouri, we boarded another plane and made our way to California. We spent several days with my family in Southern California and had a really good, healing visit. The Friday we were there we had my mom's celebration of life, so my immediate family as well as mom's siblings and dad's siblings flew out to California for the weekend. Along with the family, quite a number of family friends, co-workers, old school chums, and the like attended the service and reception. It was great to honor my mom with such love. 

While in California, our youngest niece, Emery, lost her second tooth. The next morning, she found the tooth fairly had left her a whole dollar for her tooth!! When asked what she wanted to buy with her dollar, she said she wanted to buy a be-jeweled, golden sword. Well, Uncle Bill decided she didn't have to wait, and origami'd Em's dollar into a wee sword for her to play with right away. She was pretty tickled with her new dollar-sword! 
Uncle Bill rocks
I didn't take a lot of pictures in Southern California, but we had a great time. Sometimes I think you just need to put down the camera and experience life, you know?

At the end of that weekend, Bill and I picked up a rental car and drove up to our old (and future) stomping ground. Once there we checked out our house, grabbed some grub from one of our favorite taquerias, and headed down to Lover's Point to watch the sun set. I love North Yorkshire, and I love Monterey - we are very, very lucky!
Lover's Point at dusk
While at home I got to have breakfast with my shift at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and check out their newest exhibit, Tentacles. As always, their exhibits do not disappoint!
Visiting the Aquarium
New octopus friend
Nautilus 
I had to take a picture of my favorite of all the exhibits of the Monterey Bay Aquarium - the great tide pool and bay! 
Great tide pool at Monterey Bay Aquarium
Bill had to go to work that day, so after visiting the aquarium, I swung out to my other volunteer location, Point Lobos. And wouldn't you know it? Some humpback whales were putting on a show, just for me! I was so happy!!
Humpback whale tail
Humpback spout 
As I walked around Point Lobos I took in all the sights and smells. It really did feel like I had just been there a week ago, not going on a year and a half ago!
Point Lobos
Point Lobos
I was glad I took the time to walk around Point Lobos when I did, as it turns out we were booked solid for the rest of our California visit. Between servicing appliances in our home, taking care of paperwork, and visiting with good friends, we had barely a minute to spare before we had to drive to SFO for our flight back to London. 
Point Lobos
Two and a half weeks in the states was a lot of time, but it went by so very quickly! And what a whirlwind - I think we both felt like we needed a vacation by the time we returned from our vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment