Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sister Kay and Abbot Roger

Fountains Abbey
Mom, Dad, and I spent one morning touring Fountains Abbey, an abbey I blogged about a few months back. Click here > Fountains Abbey < to read the previous post about the abbey.

It was a beautiful day, and we spent a few hours walking around and exploring the remains of the once-prosperous Abbey and medieval retreat center. 

Mom in the remains of one of the abbey's building
Mom noticed the seating in the main nave of the abbey's cathedral and decided she and dad had to have a little fun. Without further ado, I give you Sister Kay and Abbot Roger. Do they look pious or mischievous?  
Sister Kay and Abbot Roger

In its heyday, the abbey had the best creature comforts money could buy, including a row of lavatories. And by lavatories, I mean a row of stone seats at the edge of a building with holes in the seat bottoms so your waste would dump right into the river that ran under the building. The river was also their source of water; thankfully they collected their water upstream! 
Fountains Abbey's river
No, there's no stained glass in the windows, but the pretty puffy clouds were not so bad to look at through the windows and up the main bell tower. 
Abbey window
Abbey bell tower
I took my "real" camera (and not just my iPhone) to Fountains Abbey and Harewood House (see previous post). Below are the two best photos taken at Harewood House with my nice camera with the wide angle lens.  

I forgot to mention in the previous Harewood House blog that we saw "Lady Harewood" (I don't know if she's officially a Lady, Dame, or any particular title) get dropped off by chauffeur as we were entering her house for the tour. She looked like a rather posh older lady, but it has to be weird coming home and having visitors gawk at you. Don't you think it would be weird? 
Harewood House & its formal gardens
Harewood House's formal gardens and deer park in the distance

No comments:

Post a Comment