Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Mum, Dad, and a London Double-Decker Bus

On August 30th I met my Mom and Dad in London! I had to be very brave as I travelled by train to London, figure out the London Tube system and walk to our B&B all by myself - and I'm not terrific with directions. Thank GOD for the iPhone & GPS :-)  

After checking into my room at our B&B, the host told me my parents were down the street having lunch at a pub and for me to go meet them. As I was walking to the pub, I looked up and there, standing across the street was my Dad! What a great site in a city full of strangers!!!
Touring double-decker bus style
We spent the first full day of their vacation riding around town in one of the quintessential London double-decker hop-on hop-off tour busses. We hopped off near Westminster Abbey (sorry, no photos allowed inside) to explore. 
Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament & Big Ben
We braved the crowds at Westminster Abbey and Dad found the tombs of lots of famous scientists (Darwin, Galileo, Newton, etc.) for a proper scientist geek-out session. Mom & I enjoyed seeing the Kings, Queens, and writers' tombs (including Chaucer, Dickens, etc.) for a lady geek-out session.
Houses of Parliament
Clock Tower (Big Ben) and the London Eye
We hopped back on the tour bus and headed over to the Tower of London. Along the way we saw Saint Paul's Cathedral, drove over the London Bridge where we had a great view of the Tower Bridge before actually driving over the Tower Bridge. 
St. Paul's Cathedral
Tower Bridge as seen from London Bridge


Driving over the Tower Bridge
We hopped off at the Tower of London (pictures & story in the next post) and spent a quick hour and a half visiting the site before they closed for the night. 
Dad and the Tower Bridge
Whew! What a great start to a great vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment