Thursday, June 18, 2009

Jury Duty

I have been called for jury duty several times. Every time, I call in the Friday before, and the automated voice says something to this effect "If you are in group XYZ (which I was), you are not needed. Thank you, your jury duty service is complete for the next two years."

That didn't happen last Friday. I had to show up on Monday morning at 8:15 to the Salinas court house- where the criminal cases are tried. After waiting about an hour, they had 200 potential jurors sitting in their auditorium. I was quite peeved, as I had assumed they would have boxes of donuts and a never-ending supply of coffee for the potential jurors. Maybe the sad state of the California coffers is to blame for the lack of sustenance for those of us doing our civic duty. Or maybe coffee and donuts are only available to movie-jury-duty folks. All I know is I was ticked off.

The officials announced that two court cases would need jurors; and they called 55 names for the first case. SWEET - I'm not called!! A half hour later, they say the next case needs 75 potential jurors, and start calling names. DAMN - they called my name!! As the bailiff leads the 75 to the courtroom, we see the remaining potential jurors sent home; their jury duty completed. DAMN!!

At this point, the jury selection begins. 18 potential jurors are called up to the jury box and asked question after question. And then more questions. As jurors are released for various reasons (mostly, because they're complete idiots), they call additional potential jurors up to the hot seat. My name is called. And I knew - based on the questions they were asking, that I did not have any conflict or personal history involving anything similar to this case - that I was on-board for the ride. DAMN!!

More potential jurors are let go (mostly, because they're also complete idiots), and I am moved up to Juror #3. DAMN IT!!!

By 3:00 in the afternoon, the 12 of us are finally sworn in as the jury. Only, one of the 12 then raises his hand and says his Grandma's dying and he has a plane ticket for the morning to fly off and visit her. WHAT?! He is dismissed, and the court calls more names to find the final juror. Which they find, send the rest of the folks home (I think only 10 or so people didn't get their names called to be in the hot seat), and we're on to opening statements. I'm beginning to realize that court cases move about as fast as a heard of turtles.

Three days, one hostile witness, two juvenile witnesses, several police witnesses, and one witness pleading the "5th" later, we're sent to deliberate. Sadly, the deliberation room did not contain coffee, food, windows, or air. Those movie jurors have it great!

About 4 hours over two days later, we the jury reached a decision. Aside from the legal decision, we also came to the consensus that jury duty, while important and necessary, totally stinks!

My jury duty service is now done for two years. Next time should I act a complete idiot???

2 comments: