Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dun Aengus by Pony Cart

We're back in Dublin, getting ready to fly home tomorrow. Sitting in our hotel's downstairs pub (Thankfully, it's not Karaoke night!), drinking what may be our last Bulmers, thinking about our two days on Inis Mor. 

We got to go to the island's big site, Dun Aengus, not by car or bike, but by Pony Cart!
The Pony Cart to & from Dun Aengus was pretty cool, but the site itself was amazing. It's an ancient fort that was built in the Bronze Age, and is situated on the top, western edge of Inis More. And by edge, I mean it's on the edge, which drops several hundred feet straight down to the crashing sea.
There's no wall or barrier, so you can just walk right off the edge if you're not careful. I would only get close to the edge by laying down - and we captured the moment with these two photos. You'll notice, I wouldn't open my eyes, even when I wasn't looking down - that edge gave me a serious case of the heebie-jeebies!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment