Monday, October 3, 2016

More Betty's Cookery School!

I took yet another course at Betty's Cookery School this last summer. This was an under-enrolled class and I know a gal who can get me in last minute at half-price in such courses. And two of my friends came along for the ride! 
Before the aprons got dirty
It was another basic tea-time treats type course, so there weren't any difficult techniques to learn. However, I always learn a lot during these courses. First up, a mocha cake that we had to let cool before making and frosting the cake later in the day. 
My mocha cake game is strong
We were all a bit giddy; high on copious quantities of croissant and coffee.
Patty's mocha cake game is beyond strong
And, quite frankly, tickled pink to be there, baking up a storm. 
And Ellen's pride could nor should be contained
Up next were butter cookies. Simple butter cookies are easy, but here they taught us how to make them into jammy dodgers by simply sandwiching two cookies together (the top one with a pre-cut 'window' prior to baking) with some high quality raspberry jam. Delicious! 
Jammy dodgers!
The mocha mascarpone frosting was a simple, whipped frosting that I had never made before, but was simple and oh, so yummy. I got a bit carried away with the chocolate shavings - they were only supposed to be on the side, but… c'mon, they're chocolate shavings!! 
My final mocha cake with mascarpone frosting
And the piece de resistance: Lime custard cupcakes with swiss merengue. They were basic white cake cupcakes with the center cut away. Inside the center you spooned fresh lime curd. The merengue was whipped egg whites that you slowly poured a sugar syrup into as you do the final 30-seconds worth of whip. The hot sugar syrup cooks the eggs (making them safe) and really marshmellow-y. Finally, you take a kitchen blow torch to 'em to make 'em pretty and you're done! 
Lime custard cupcakes with swiss merengue
The three photos above were all my finished creations, but I always like to take a picture of the chef's final work. Some day my creations will look as pretty as his! 
The chef's final presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment