Friday, April 8, 2016

Solo Adventures in London, Part Two

The next day in London was largely spent at the Writer's Workshop where I met several of my fellow on-line students, and my wonderful teacher (and a great writer), Debi Alper. The event was enjoyable and helpful, and now that I've learned a lot more about the writing and publishing process, I feel like I gained more from each session than at the 3-day workshop last Autumn when everything was oh-so-new to me. 

The workshop ended with a general hang-out session with a glass of wine at 5:30. I had done some sleuthing on the internet earlier in the week and had learned that there was an honest to goodness Chipotle a few blocks from Regent University, where the workshop was held. I had been salivating ever since learning about the nearby Chipotle. As any California-raised, Mexican-food-loving, expat-in-England knows, there are very few Mexican restaurants in England, and those that are here, are typically meh at best.  I finished that glass of wine and conversation and high tailed it straight to Chipotle! 

A nice guy from Cornwall who I had met at the workshop was walking back to his hotel and caught up with me on my way to dinner. I told him where I was going and he said, "My wife and I saw that shop yesterday walking around. I think it's just around the way. Chip-o-what is it? It's a fish and chip shop, yes?" Oh, the LOLs! 
Mmmm…. veggie burrito goodness! 
The next morning I awoke from my food coma and got ready for the day. I planned everything so that I could check out of the hotel, leave my bag, and take the tube to Oxford Street to do a bit more shopping before my 1:00 train home. It being Sunday, I figured the shops wouldn't open until 10:30, as they do up in our little corner of England. I arrived on Oxford Street around 10:15... Sadly, every last shop on Oxford (save the tourist trinket shops) didn't open until noon. Noon! The time I had to take the tube back to pick up my luggage and walk to Kings Cross. Curses!!! 
I got to look in the windows of Selfridge's
Window shopping wouldn't have been so bad, save for the fact that it was only 2*C (35*F) and there was really no place to pop inside to get warm. There really aren't any cafes on Oxford Street either, save for the ones inside the still-shut department stores. Cold curses!!! 
And Liberty's
Liberty's of London
I ended my several hours long window shopping experience on Carnaby Street, just as a few shops were starting to open for browsing (strictly no sales until noon), but I had to start heading back to the tube station. 
A backlit Carnaby Street
Strict London laws about retail shops and Sunday hours: my wallet thanks you.
Live models inside the closed MAC store

No comments:

Post a Comment