Friday, January 23, 2015

Pastry Pro (Wannabe) at Betty's Cookery School

I think I'm addicted to Betty's Cookery School!! This autumn I attended two more classes, both helping the home baker learn how to make pastry. 
Happy gal at Betty's Cookery School
In the first class, we made three different types of pastry and filled them with amazing-ness. The first was a sweet crust pastry filled with cherry jam and custard, named for the basque region in France in which it was made famous. 
My cherry gateau Basque
Instructor's cherry gateau Basque
Next up was a walnut short crust pastry filled with leeks, blue cheese, and a cream / egg base. 
My leek and stilton tart
Instructor's leek and stilton tart
And last, but not least (for my first pastry class), a hot water crust with pork pie filling and an apple cider glaze. I am not a fan of pork pies, so Bill happily consumed all four that I brought home. 
My apple cider and pork pies 
Instructor's apple cider and pork pies
In the second pastry course, I learned how to make a simple puff pastry (Ha! Simple is not a word I would describe this pastry, but I digress...) for a steak and ale pie. It was delicious, but all that work for two servings - I'll have to quadruple the recipe so that my time and effort are enjoyed for a few meals! 
Instructor's steak and ale pie
Next up was a savory short crust pastry for a yummy smoked salmon and dill tart. 
My smoked salmon and dill tart
And last, but not least, another sweet short crust pastry - this one so crumbly, we all had a heck of a time with it - for a yummy cardamom chocolate tart. 
My cardamom and chocolate tarts
Instructor's cardamom and chocolate tart (smoked salmon tart in background)
With all of my new skills, I was brave enough to enter a baking completion with a modified version of the cherry gateau Basque... And I won first place!! I now have a shiny new fondue pot I have no idea what to do with. Maybe there's a fondue class at Betty's... 

2 comments:

  1. Jen! Next we'll be seeing you on the Great British Baking Show! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen! Next we'll be seeing you on the Great British Baking Show! :)

    ReplyDelete