Monday, July 14, 2014

The World of James Herriot

When a friend heard I was moving to North Yorkshire, she told me I had to read All Creatures Great and Small. I had heard of the BBC show from the 70s, but didn't realize the show was based on a series of books written about the life of a Yorkshire veterinarian. I finished reading ACGandS just as our house was being paked up for the move - and completely loved it! 
Living room
Thirsk, the town James Herriot (real name James Alfred "Alf" Wight) called home for most of his professional life, is only a 40-minute drive from where we currently reside. I have been wanting to visit his home since we moved here, and last month I finally did! The home in which he lived and worked has been restored and maintained to look like it did during the time period in which his books are set (1930ish).
Dining room
Alcove and later TV room
Kitchen
I have only read the first in his series of books, which are all loosely based on his life and work stories he detailed in his journal over the years. I loved the kooky farmers and small animal lovers he depicted; folks who would call him out to their farm for ailing cows and rich landowners whose dogs overate and became Ill. The treatment rooms in his home are very close to how I imagined them while reading his books. 
Veterinary supplies
Small animal exam room
I learned that he always said to his beloved wife that the stories in his diaries would make a great book. One day, she apparently dared him to write such a book, and the rest is history!
James Herriot's diaries from which he wrote his books
As you exit his home there is a purpose-built building which houses many of the sets from the much-loved BBC television series, based on his novels. 
All Creatures Great and Small TV set dining room
ACGandS TV set vet clinic
Next to the set pieces sat his original car depicted in the book - a terrible, broke-down, unsafe vehicle that nearly got him killed many times over. The volunteer at the museum explained that a fund had been collected a few years ago to restore the car... And what a pity! I would have loved to see it as the piece of junk he had to deal with on a daily basis. Oh, well!
James Herriot's original clunker of a car

No comments:

Post a Comment