Saturday, August 10, 2013

Impromptu Trip to York

Earlier this week I had all my household cleaning supplies out, ready for a day of chores. I checked the Internet and noticed a train was leaving for York in 30 minutes. I instantly realized that I could catch the train; I grabbed my purse and headed to the station. 

The ride to York is 35 minutes of mostly beautiful scenery.
Yorkshire Countryside
Once in York, I walked the long way around the medieval city walls to find Micklegate Bar. This was the city's main point of entry for hundreds of years. During the War of the Roses, big battle losers' prominent leaders would have their heads posted on spikes atop Micklegate Bar. I'm sure this helps add fuel to the whole "York is the most haunted city in England" story.
Micklegate Bar
As luck would have it, I ran into the original York Ghost Walk tour leader (and his creepy sidekick) drumming up business and posing for my camera.
I walked around for several hours, got a little lost and found my way again. All the while seeing some pretty cool sites to photograph. 
An old building's clock
Medieval Gargoyles Chillin'
...and everyone's celebrating the Doctor's 50th anniversary this week - even cake shops!!
EXTERMINATE!!!
Before heading back to the train station, I took this picture of the Minster's famous rose window. I can't wait to see it from the inside again! 
York Minster's Rose Window
On the train home, I got one more good picture. This time of nearby Knarsborogh. All in all a successful day. Except I still had a house that needed cleaning... but this was way more fun!
Knarsborough

2 comments:

  1. I would be looking for something to do BEFORE I got out all the cleaning supplies! Gee, do I ever take out the cleaning supplies? Lovely trip. And also your stay at the Shepherds Hut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going back to the Shepard's Hut in October for another class. Very excited! But I miss Point Lobos, the Aquarium, Monterey, etc. I am glad when we leave England we will be returning to such a beautiful place!!

    ReplyDelete