Thursday, September 3, 2009

Flamethrower Shooting Gallery

So here's a great example of something that attorneys would never allow in the real world: the Flamethrower Shooting Gallery.
Yes, happy campers, that's right: they let you handle and operate actual flamethrowers at Burning Man. You do not wear gloves, eye protection, or a fire-retardant suit. The qualifications are these: you may not be drunk or stupid (the definitions and measurements of which are arbitrary and at the discretion of the attendants), and you may not be wearing any especially flammable clothes. If you are wearning flammable clothes, one semi popular option was just to remove them. Once you pass all the tests, it's flamethrower time!!!

4 comments:

  1. oooooo, i'm so jealous!!!! bikes, grilled cheese, fire and nakedness. yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. goggles and gloves were in fact required (and supplied if needed.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Matisse: perhaps... I will say that the operators were quite safety conscious. They were careful to watch the line and closely supervise operations. but I know of one session in particular during which the at least the goggles were missing (and lots else). Perhaps this was just a couple of scofflaws. Anyway, I never meant to imply that the operations were dangerous. But I can see that the flippant blog-speak could easily be interpreted that way. My apologies for any misunderstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill - no worries, I wasn't thinking you were being flip.
    I do kinda doubt we ever let anyone shoot without goggles and gloves, and both myself and the assistant range master, Roxie, were watching all the time, not to mention the gate crew and the four range safety officers.

    If there was a round in which goggles were not worn then I am incredibly surprised and frankly have a hard time believing it. I don't want to get into a dispute over something in the past but it would take a lot to convince me that actually happened.

    It is true that around a half dozen people (out of 350+) shot almost nude - wearing only goggles, gloves and shoes or sandals. And another half dozen or dozen shot without a shirt.

    ReplyDelete