Thursday, May 28, 2009

Volvo Ocean Race Festivities

Galway has been quite a surprise. As I mentioned in my last blog post, we've arrived for the Volvo Ocean Race, Galway's biggest weekend of the year. This may not even be a yearly event, we'll have to ask around tomorrow. After a short nap to recoup from our accidental hike, we struck out to see the evening's free events down at the harbor. The harbor was closed for all of the foot traffic, and it was crowded, but you could easily get from tent to tent & booth to booth to see what people were selling (food, crafts, boating gear). 

The racing vessels were on display in the harbor, and the previous legs' winning yacht was hoisted up in celebration. 
I don't know much about yacht racing, but it does look cool. Everyone here seems to be rooting for "The Green Dragon" - Ireland's yacht. 

My big excitement for the evening was seeing the free Hothouse Flowers concert. I only have a few CDs from them, but I recognized most of the songs they sang. Their first song was "I Can See Clearly Now", a song I used to play a lot back in my college days. Lots of fun, good music, and a great atmosphere!

1 comment: