Sunday, May 24, 2009

Beef Curry

Tonight Jen and I are basing our posts on BBC shows seen in the U.S.   Me, I've picked Red Dwarf.  If there's any one food that Dave Lister would be proud to be served in Ireland (or anyplace with a breathable atmosphere), it would be a curry.

Tonight I had a nice beef curry at an excellent Irish pub/restaurant.  I've had curries at pubs in America, and they're good.  I've had curries in the English midlands, and they're great. Now I can also say that I've had an Irish curry, and I have to say I'm quite pleased.  Firstly, about the choice of meat: beef. A rare choice for a curry so far as I know, but a well-made and balanced selection here.  The beef was quite distinct - a bit like tenderized and marinated skirt steak like you'd find on a Texan fajita, but retaining more of the dark beef character.  Set against a backdrop of sweet onion, red and yellow bell pepper, and zucchini, this curry was fresh and crisp, with a healthy spice and great texture. This one was at Langton's in Kilkenny.

With a nice poppadom and pint of Smithwicks to accompany it, this was a pleasant find (Smithwicks is brewed in Kilkenny, by the way - so don't blast us for not drinking Guinness!).  To be honest, I wish we had more time here in Kilkenny rather than just the one night - it looks like a great town with a lot of charm.  The twisty Viking streets (Roman roads are straight; Vikings like lots of curves) are colorfully populated with shops, pubs, and random historical attractions.  Below we show shots of a couple shops across the river and of Kilkenny Cathedral. 

Anyway, now we know that Ireland is also a great spot for a curry!



2 comments:

  1. Your description of the curry makes me taste it. Sounds and looks like a great place to vacation. Cant wait to hear all the stories and pics of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Terry - You do not want to taste this curry. It was tasty in my mouth, but in no other way! :) Glad you're enjoying the blog.

    ReplyDelete