Thursday, August 11, 2016

Wine Tasting Day2 - Domaine De Roquemale

In my last post I said we visited three wineries on our second day. I lied, my bad! We only visited two wineries and had a big lunch in between. 

I'm not a big meat-eater; I tend to eat mostly vegetarian food simply because my body seems to respond better when I eat that way. Well, in France it was meat, meat, meat… oh, let's have some more meat! So after my (day one) charcuterie for breakfast, charcuterie for lunch, meat-heavy cassoulet in Carcassonne, (day two) charcuterie for breakfast, we had a platter full of duck and beef for lunch. I was so full I mostly moved the food around on my plate. Then we waddled back on the bus and rode off to Domaine de Roquemale!  
Another terrific winery! 
Aside from the tasty wine and adorable wee door to the wine storage, the winemaker was an absolute joy! She (another woman in winemaking - huzzah!!) was one of those people I could have talked to (and laughed with) for hours right out of the gate. Serious BFF-potential territory. 
Wee Jen in a wee door
She and her husband own the winery; she is from Spain and her husband from France. They are doing things the 'new' way, without pesticides and when possible, natural, letting the grape and soil speak through the wine. Her father, also a winemaker, things they're crazy, but they don't care. They're making wine the way they want to make wine, and it is TASTY! 
Tasty goodness
Sorry for the blurry poster, but this helped me remember all of the wines we tasted. Again, another long list of wines, but we had small pours and dumped out anything we didn't need/want to drink. So much wine but we all (mostly) drank responsibly, even though we had a bus and a driver. 
Blurry photo, but it's in French anyway...
I picked up a few of their wines. The San Filet is their most natural wine, made without sulphites, this wine is intended to be drunk fairly soon after purchase.  Both Marianne and I really liked it and bought two bottles each to share with our husbands and friends. We have each tried one of the bottles purchased, and sadly, because the San Filet has no preservatives, we don't think it faired well in the bowels of the bus. We think the heat and jostling of transport must have diminished the wine's quality as neither of our husbands liked the wine, nor did we think they tasted as good as when we were in France. You win some, you loose some...
2015 Rose
80% Grenache 20% Sancerre
2015 white
blend of 6 different grapes
Meli Melo
Red wine;
allegiant brushe grape (sp?)

Les Terrasses

San Filet (means w/o a net)
natural wine w/o sulfites

2014 Les Gres
un-oaked Syrah 




























I also picked up one each of the Lema and Male & hope to save them for a few years. So, for our friends in the states, get your wine glasses ready when we come back home! 

Lema 50/50 Syrah / Grenache
Will keep 5 - 7 years


Male
Carbonic maceration then 2 years barrel aged
Will keep well

No comments:

Post a Comment