Friday, June 24, 2016

Spring and Early Summer Music Concerts

Bill and I have been trying to get out and see more live music these last few months. We have found a few locations that showcase traditional Scottish / Irish / Folk music and have really enjoyed several of the concerts. Sadly, the best concerts we attended were enjoyed so much I forgot to record a sampling of their music. 

With that said, I give you a very short clip of John McCusker. He is the middle fiddler below, and aside from two jigs, the rest of the music was fairly sleep inducing. The day after we attended this concert Bill told his buddy, who had wanted to go with us but couldn't, that he had dodged a bullet by missing this one.


And then a few weeks later we attended a concert by the Peatbog Faeries. We were there with three other couples, one of which has seen the band four times and absolutely loves them. We don't know if it was the venue or if the sound was just mixed very badly, but all you could hear (for the most part) was the synthesized club beat. Perhaps it was that, or perhaps it was just that this band is not a very traditional folk band, but neither Bill nor I liked the show very much. 

I recorded two short clips and as you can see, this is a band that should be playing in a disco somewhere. It just wasn't our cup of tea and it was really, really loud. How old am I again? 

Last, but not least, a short clip of my friend (also named Jennifer, wearing the blue scarf) at a lunch time classical music recital in Leeds. 

Before I go I thought I'd add clips of the two awesome Scottish bands we've seen but that I failed to capture on video. First up is Skerryvore, a Scottish rock band that was a lot of boot-stomping fun. 
And finally, one of the absolutely best concerts I have ever seen in my whole life was a four-woman band called Fara. They've only put out an EP to date, but their first full length album comes out later this Summer. There is only one official video on YouTube, so here it is. These gals absolutely killed it live! 
If you are looking to pick up some traditional folk or folk rock music, go find yourselves a Skerryvore CD or the Fara EP. I hope you like them as much as we do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment