Friday, August 7, 2015

Hiking Loch Awe

Our first full day on Loch Awe had everyone (save me) geared up for a hike! Pete (far left) had hiked the nearby hills before, so he led everyone off on a sure-to-be-muddy adventure. I stayed at the hotel with my kindle and a cup of coffee, and it was perfectly relaxing. 
Pre-hike cleanliness
From the tales I heard when they returned,  Pete's "easy" hike started with a walk straight up a hill...
Climbing up the dam (Photo Credit: Patty) 
to the dam used by the local waterworks company, where they climbed up even higher...
View from the top
for a gorgeous view. But, with all of the elevation, I was told I would not have enjoyed myself; what is an easy for Pete would have been a rather challenging one for me & my ticker!
It got a bit misty for Reg and Patty!
The rain started to fall on their descent down the hill. Although it was wet, they sure look like they were having a great time! 
Heading back to the hotel (Photo Credit: Regine)
Back to the hotel they came, where I was ready with the camera for some grubby foot photos. They were all very muddy, but the mud doesn't show very well in the pictures below. Trust me, they were dirty! 
Post-hike and shoeless
Post-hike euphoria
When hiking in wet weather in England, you get wise to the wicking effect on your trousers. Experienced walkers know to tuck their trouser legs into their socks - it's not a fashionable thing, by any means, but it keeps your pant legs from getting soaked by the wet grass and sharing that moisture down into your socks and boots. Because hiking with wet socks/feet in cold England is apparently not a fun thing to do.  
Post-hike grubbiness
After everyone got themselves cleaned up, we gathered around the now-infamous hippo table for snacks, drinks, and games, whiling away the time until we took off for a right proper, Michelin recommended, gastro pub for dinner. Yum! 
Drinks at the hippo table (photo credit: Patty)
Cheers! (photo credit: Regine)

No comments:

Post a Comment