Friday, August 22, 2014

Swanky Swinton Park

One of my American friends recently moved from the UK to Japan. Before she left, she wanted to go to as many places and see as many things as she could. One of those places was a small manor home less than an hour from our town that is now a hotel and restaurant. She had never been, so she corralled me and another of our friends, made reservations, dressed in appropriate attire, and headed out for a fancy "ladies who lunch" lunch.
Swinton Park
As we drove up the winding driveway to the estate we saw a few white deer, a sure sign that we were in for a treat! The manor house has been a home, a school for girls, dormitory-of-sorts for children during the wars, and is now a hotel, restaurant, and culinary school. I have my eyes on their "Tastes of India" cooking class coming up. 
Care for an Afternoon Tea?
The rooms inside were immaculate and very, very quiet. Us American ladies had to keep our giggling and boisterous nature in check! The dining room had only two other parties with plenty of empty tables scattered throughout the room. However, when I called to book a 1:00 lunch, they said they could only accommodate us at 1:15. We thought it was a bit strange, but the pageantry in presenting each course made us realize they couldn't provide the same service if each party had arrived at the same time. I mean, this is a place where the maître de put the napkin in your lap for you, for goodness sake. Fancy! 
Asparagus Velluté
My starter was asparagus velouté. I still don't know what velouté means, but it was damn good! The plate/bowl arrived with four sprigs of asparagus, several small croutons, and some sort of mint gel-cubes. One of the servers then poured the green liquid over the top. And it was over the top!
Pork and amazing other stuff
My main dish included pork prepared three ways, a few small gnocchi, butternut purée. And some roasted veg. I wanted to lick my plate clean, but I did as best I could whilst remaining a dainty, well-heeled lady. (I hope I fooled 'em all!)
Chocolate hazelnut deliciousness
Dessert was some sort of chocolate mocha ice cream hazelnut heaven. We were all stuffed up to our necks after dessert, but weren't quite ready to leave. We retired to the tea room (see second picture, above) for some tea/coffee where they brought us yet another plate of truffles. 

A gal could get used to this kind of pampering... And then have to buy larger clothing! 

PS my friend is now in Japan enjoying coffee in cans, sake, and squid jerky and trying to decode kanji using her phone's app with limited success.

No comments:

Post a Comment