Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Happy Pi(e) Day (AKA March 14 or 3.14)

Apparently, March 14th is Pi Day. Bill says next year will be extra special, as it will be 3.1415, but I digress. 

Pi day is a thing around Bill's work and last year everyone brought in a pi(e) to share with their co-workers. Bill asked me to make a pi(e) for him to take because last year he didn't know the drill and therefore didn't bring a pi(e). He said most folks brought fruit pies, so he thought it would be nice to take something savory. His favorite sandwich of all sandwiches is the rueben, so he asked if I could make some sort of rueben pi(e). After a bit of research online, I decided I could at least make a valiant effort!
Short crust pastry with thousand island dressing
I tried to make short crust pastry from scratch for the first time, and that was an absolute fail. I had to run out to the store and quickly purchase a portion of short crust pastry. Thankfully, they have things like that around here without a bunch of creepy chemicals laced throughout. 
Stuffed with corned beef, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese
With the short crust pastry rolled out, I added layers of thousand island dressing, swiss cheese, sliced corned beef, sauerkraut, and more swiss cheese. 
Add a decorative top crust & sprinkle with caraway seeds
I rolled out the top layer of crust and had just enough extra dough to make a Pi symbol for the top. Brushed on some olive oil and caraway seeds and it was off to the oven! 
Voila! Rueben Pie!
The end result turned out pretty darned good, if I do say so myself! I wish I had delivered the pi(e) to Bill's work with the remaining thousand island for a dipping sauce, but a first time recipe can always be improved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment