Sunday, August 9, 2009

Jennifer on Julia

Like many American women, I went to see Julie & Julia this weekend with a few of my favorite gal pals. And I was so enamored with the food presented in the movie that I talked about it until Bill took me to Borders and bought me a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child (and a few other ladies).

After our adventure out at the Disneyana swap meet this morning, I purchased all of the ingredients for Julia's Boeuf Bourguinon (beef stew in red wine, with bacon, onions, and mushrooms). I started cooking at 2:00, and by 7:30 we sat down to a truly scrumptious meal.

I won't/ can't cook like this every week (my waistline would HATE me for it!), but every now and again, I'm just gonna have to bust out the Julia Childs' cookbook. Even without pictures, the recipes in her book just make your mouth water.

Now that I've had my weekly allotment of butter, it's salad and fruit for the rest of the week.

But, damn, it was worth it!! :)

4 comments:

  1. rivers of butter, beef and mushrooms . . .oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leftovers were just as good (if not better) today! (Okay, I lied, I can't live on salad & fruit.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, after laboring for that long, i think you're entitled to unrestrained gratification. i'll live vicariously, it's too darn hot here to even look at the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, you rock! I'll admit I pulled my copy of the book off the shelves, looked up the boef bourguinon recipe, but then chickened out. We did have sole with butter and caper sauce for dinner though, so we didn't come out completely un-julia'd

    ReplyDelete